Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2 For Tuesday Adventure

Today I ventured out to some of the local wine stores to see if I could find any great values...

Aresti "A" Carmenere 2006, Chile - $10 (on sale for $5)
I had to pick this one up because it was on such a great sale and I wanted to try this varietal on its own.  It is a very unique grape and it is often used in blending, but this seems to be 100% carmenere.  From the first whif, it seems a bit funky, but once you get past that, you'll notice some dark ripe fruit and berry.  The wine is pretty well balanced, heavier on the fruit side, but enough acid to make it palatable.  This is definitely a food wine and it's not for everyone because of it's "unique" style.  So if you are up to try something out of the ordinary, give it a try.

La Tenuta Rosso di Montalcino 2006, Tuscany - $18 (on sale for $10)
This is very typical of this style of wine, a rustic nose followed by big fruit, this wine is very juicy, but I have had better.  In fact, I believe I have written about another Rosso recently, so look back a few posts to see something a little better.  I like my Rosso di Montalcino to be as close as possible to Brunello, so I suppose my standards are unreasonable... Overall, a good wine, worth at least the sale price... but not much more.

A fine adventure,  an excellent learning experience.  Cheers and Buon Bere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift Shop